Mellon Graduate Fellowships
You are here
Andrew W. Mellon Foundation Graduate Fellowships at the Society for the Humanities 2018-2019
The Mellon Foundation has made available two fellowships for graduate students to become Fellows of the Society for the Humanities at Cornell University during the 2018/2019 academic year. Graduate Fellows will not teach courses. Graduate Fellows will be invited to all events at the Society for the Humanities.
The Fellowship includes a College of Arts & Sciences graduate tuition waiver, a $26,000 stipend, and health insurance. The two Graduate Fellows will share an office at the A.D. White House during the academic year.
Cornell University graduate students in the humanities who are working on topics related to the 2018-2019 focal theme, AUTHORITY, are invited to apply. Applicants must have completed the A exam and all requirements for the degree other than the dissertation before the application deadline on November 1, 2017. Awards will be restricted to students entering their 4th, 5th or 6th year of study at the time the Fellowship begins.
The following application materials must be emailed to Emily Parsons, email@example.com, by NOVEMBER 1, 2017. Please email materials in a single PDF in the order below with the subject line “GRADUATE FELLOWSHIP APPLICATION - Last Name”.
Order of Materials:
1. A cover page with:
Full name and net ID
Proposed project title
Recommenders’ names and emails
2. A curriculum vitae.
3. A one-page dissertation abstract (up to 300 words)
4. A detailed statement of the research project the applicant will pursue during the fellowship year (1,000 – 2,000 words)
5. A Cornell University etranscript (for instructions, visit http://transcript.cornell.edu/).
6. A scholarly writing sample (published or unpublished) that is no more than 35 pages long
7. Sent under separate cover: Two letters of recommendation. Letters of recommendation should include an evaluation of the candidate's research proposal. Please ask referees to send their letters directly to firstname.lastname@example.org. Letters must be received on or before November 1, 2017.
For further information:
Awards will be announced by the end of December 2017.Note: Extensions for applications will not be granted. The Society will consider only fully completed applications. It is the responsibility of each applicant to ensure that ALL documentation is complete, and that referees submit their letters of recommendation to the Society before the closing date.